Running and training while working from home
By now, we all know the everything that has gone down and how it has completely shifted how we live our lives. Stores, gyms and all non-essential shops are closed or doing business on a skeleton crew. Our way of life has been completely shifted upside down.
Now that most, if not all, gyms are closed, we also have to rethink how we’ll keep up our fitness. Will we let everything we’ve been working toward just slide because we don’t have access to a gym?
Now that road races are postponed or canceled, will that negatively affect motivation? Will you no longer feel obligated to get out and log your miles?
life is different, but I know that we will be just fine. We can close up shop and wait it out or we can be creative and find alternative ways to get in shape at home so that when our we all come out the other side. We’ll be able to return to a new normal way of life.
What do you think? Are you with me? I’m here to help you find motivation and use resources you already have around the house to stay in shape.
I’ll break up the workout ideas by body part so that you can skip down to the part you want to focus on for the day.
Having a strong core is so important to a distance runner. Without a strong core, it’s hard to build strength around it. Our core is the foundation for everything we do, so focusing on this area is very important.
My most popular blog post covers the basics of working on your core, so you’ll want to read that post if you haven’t already.
There are so many household items we can use in place of free weights! You do not need free weights, kettle bells or fancy equipment to stay in shape.
Do you have some gallon jugs of milk or maybe some cans of soup? What about small children? Heck, I even have a workout where you’re only using your SHOES as the weight!
With these new workout ideas, you may not do your typical amount of reps or use the same weight, but you’ll still get in a good workout.
Here are some moves that can be done with your non-traditional equipment:
- Inverted push ups – use a couch to raise your feet
- Dips – use a chair or bench to do dips
- Bicep curls – use cans or bottles of water
- Overhead press – cans or bottles
- Upright row – use cans or bottles of water
No leg machines? No problem.
Some moves that you can do with non-traditional equipment:
- Squats – use canned goods or bag of rice as weight
- Hip thrusters – use a bench or ottoman
- Lunge twists – use a can or bottle to twist as you’re completing your lunge
- Step ups – you can use a bench, a box, or stairs
- Single-leg dead lifts – lighter weight + balance
Low Intensity Workouts
We can dial a workout up to make it more intense or dial it back to make it less intense. Some great low intensity workouts I’ve done include core, Pilates, and yoga. There are some great YouTube videos of instructors who are really good at teaching.
- Beginner’s Guide to Using Resistance Band Exercises
- Adding Strength Training into Your Running Routine
- Using Yoga to Better My Running
Since all the gyms are closed, you’ll want to stay fit! Here are #TrainwithMarc’s top workout ideas that don’t require traditional workout equipment!Tweet
High Intensity Workouts
If high intensity is more your speed – where your heart rate is way up and you’re getting little rest – then you’ll want to check out some of these workout routines:
- Circuit Strength & Accelerations
- High-Intensity Interval Group Workout with Trivia
- High Intensity Partner Workout
- Plyometrics Routine for Distance Runners
Are you crafty and can create you own workout equipment? Here are some ideas for you!
- Weighted PVC pipes: put sand in and cap the ends
- Box jump: Mr. Money Mustache blogged about it and we made one of our own!
Need a running coach for your next race?
A coach will create the training plan so you can focus on your running goals!
Marc is a USATF Track and Field & Dr. Jack Daniels VDOT O2 certified running coach. I have more than 19 years of experience running and more than 10 years of experience coaching runners. Click for more information!