How should I best prepare for racing in the heat?
Here comes the warm days and the blazing sun! That won’t stop most of us from running outside, will it?! NO!! Here are a few things you can do to beat the heat – whether you’re out for a run or trying to set a PR.
1. Stay hydrated – Sip on water throughout the day. If necessary, bring water on the run with you.
2. Slow down your pace – Know that not every day is meant to be a PR. Sometimes it’s not in the cards!
3. Run early – No one ever said you can’t get up early to run. It takes planning and getting used to, but if you want to avoid the heat, it’s what you have to do!
4. Practice/Acclimate training in warmer weather – If you HAVE to race in the heat, you need to practice running in the heat. Just something you have to do.
5. Wear light/reflective colors – That’s right, wear white. And make it moisture wicking. Once you go dri-fit, you’ll never go back to cotton.
When late spring and summer come, what strategies will you use to beat the heat?