My high school team just got back from Holmdel Park in Holmdel, NJ – where they ran at the Shore Coaches Invitational. This is our state meet course and we typically race on the course 3 times a year – Shore Coaches, States, and hopefully the Meet of Champions.
As is always the case, I expect good results from my runners – I don’t coach expecting mediocre results – but as of late, I have reason to smile. All of my underclassmen have set course or lifetime PR’s in every distance, on every course. It’s a great sign for the future of our program. My upperclassmen found their groove and are now coming within seconds of their own lifetime PR’s. It’s a great feeling as a coach. These are a few of the things that they are all doing to see such success.
- Consistently training – putting in 7 days a week of solid miles. Good long runs and 2 solid workouts a week.
- Racing smart – staying within themselves and running good races helps build momentum.
- Not getting injured – staying away from the injury bug is a great way to run fast.
- Taking care of themselves – not getting sick or run down is key to running fast.
- Staying positive – whether things are going well or poorly, they are staying the course.
Do you have some of these same qualities as a person an a runner? If so, success isn’t far off! Keep doing the right things and good things will come your way!
Do you have any other tips for success that I can pass along to my team?