When running, whether a race or training run, it pays to start cautiously (slower) and build speed as the run progresses.
When Pacing Matters
The longer the race/run, the more important it is to go out easy and within control. If you have a hard time pacing yourself, try these three tools to get the most out of your race or run. You’ll be able to judge your time, pace & effort better as you run more miles.
1. Use a rabbit (or someone who is good at pacing).
2. Use a GPS device (watch or phone).
3. Run on a measured course, like a track.
Why Pacing Matters
Remember, at the end of a race, these reasons should persuade you to go out controlled early on:
- Passing people is empowering.
- You’ll be in less oxygen debt so you can run the second half of the race quicker.
- More energy later in race.
What’s your reason for going out easy in the beginning of a race?